Thursday, March 24, 2011

Thursday Thirteen - NY Women's Expo

This weekend, I went to the NY Women's Expo, which was held at Siena College. The weekend-long event was a collection of vendors and seminars, geared towards women. Shopping ranged from jewelry to onsite spa treatments - to windows and patio furniture.

I did not buy any windows.

My favorite purchase.
I did buy some fun jewelry and accessories, because that's what I do. I attended seminars on haircare myths and realities, and how to transition your makeup from day to night. I paid $8 to hear the tips and tricks; you're getting a few of them for free. You're welcome.

*********************************
  • When going from day makeup to night, you need to use a nude, or neutral blush. The point of the blush is really just to give your face some contour; for nighttime makeup, the emphasis should be on your eyes...
  • ...and lips. In the words of the consultant from Jean Paul Spa - you can't have too much gloss at night.
  • I've always been told that your hair grows faster in the summer; rinsing under cold water helps reduce frizz; and that hair can become "immune" to shampoo benefits over time. The truth is....
  • ...there's no "immunity" - but there is a potential for build-up that prevents the shampoo from being as effective. You don't need to change shampoos often, just use a clarifying shampoo now and then.
  • ...hair does tend to grow faster in the summer - only because we are more active in the summer, and therefore our metabolism speeds up.
  • ...It's true that scalding hot water will frizz your hair - it dries your hair the same way it dries your skin. Stick to warm water and you'll be fine. You don't need to freeze.
  • If you're looking for spa treatments, but can't break the bank, check out Mirror Images Clinic. The spa & salon is staffed with ready-to-graduate students from Austin School of Spa Technology. They need clients; you need services. It's a win-win.
  • Placing a light colored shadow just below your brow-line will lighten and emphasize your eyes. 
  • Women like pink tools.
Visit Tomboy Tools for info.
  • Makeup should move from matte colors in the day to shimmer for a night out. Jean Paul Spa sells a finishing powder that includes a light, silvery shimmer. I will tell you - it was fabulous.
  • Remember this post, where we talked about why you don't need a man. Pure Romance is a company that can help you there. Check them out. They didn't offer me any deals (or tips, thankyouverymuch). They're getting a mention here only because I loved how their booth was set up so tastefully that moms didn't mind stopping, even with their daughters.
  • Dandruff is a medical condition; dry scalp is different. Often people use dandruff shampoo, which is medicated, when all they really need is a good moisturizing shampoo.
  • Shaving does not actually make hair grow back thicker and darker. As hair grows back, the root, which is always thicker, is more visible; giving the appearance of darker, thicker hair. If it were to grow all the way back, it would have the same texture as always.


(In the interest of full disclosure, I paid the $10 admission minus a $2 coupon I downloaded from their website. I wasn't given anything for free other than the same samples handed out to everyone. The tips I'm sharing were a part of the seminars included with my admission. Products/services I paid for myself.)

2 comments:

  1. Oh I'm sorry I missed this event. It looks like fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was bummed you weren't here. All my fun friends were either out of town or busy. :( More free stuff for me, I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete