Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Might be Right

In case you're not already aware - I'm divorced. Since our divorce, X and I have become pretty good friends. I'll admit, at one point, that didn't seem possible. But, we've both forgiven each other (and ourselves), and moved on. That has allowed us to continue our friendship.

Okay, okay. You're right. I'm wrong.
There is one thing that I didn't like when we were married, and I continue to dislike in our post-nuptual friendship: I hate it when he's right. When we were married, it was usually computer, house or worry related. I dealt with it through finely honed sense of denial - I simply didn't admit he was right. *shrugs* Now that we're just friends - it's often related to dating and relationships (he's become very enlightened). Since he's my friend, I feel I have to treat him like any other friend, and give him credit when he's correct. *sigh*

The thing is - he's always right. What's more, he has absolutely no vested interest in protecting my feelings - so he's always honest. He doesn't just tell me what I want to hear. He's been right when he said I'd find out a guy was actually seeing someone else. He's been right when he's said that a friend was being unfair and would apologize. He's been right when he's said family drama was going to head into overdrive, and I should take cover.

People have asked how I can be friends with X. I think it comes down to this: Some people are meant to be in your life forever. It may be not be the way you expected or planned - but there they are. So, listen - you never know when they may be right.    

No comments:

Post a Comment