Monday, November 29, 2010

Yes, Billy - There is a Santa Claus

Dear Billy,
I heard someone whispered in your ear that Santa isn't real. So now, you're wondering - if no one sees Santa, or knows how he does what he does, and there's no proof or explanation how can Santa be real?

What does love look like to you?
You use things all the time, like your DS and Wii, but you're not really sure exactly how they work. You've learned about places and people in school - you've never seen or met them, but you know they're real, right? Me too. I'm been many planes, but I still have no idea how they work. I've never seen Las Vegas, but I know it's a real place. Maybe we don't need to understand how something works, or see it in action, to know it exists.

But I know how you feel, Billy. For a long time, I didn't believe in love. It seemed impossible; no one could show me proof that it was real. I was too afraid to trust. I didn't want to be disappointed, or be laughed at for believing. Then I started spending time with you, and your parents, and now your little brother. Know what? You showed me love. It's not something I can touch or see - but I feel it fill my heart, every time you smile. That feeling makes me happy when I'm sad or hurt, and it makes me smile through my tears.

That's pretty powerful, right? Do you want to know what I think? Anything that powerful has to be real - even if it's just real to me. And, if something that I can't see or touch, like love, is that powerful - then there's really no reason not to believe in Santa, too.

So, Billy - I say Santa is very, very real. Let's make a deal: I'll believe if you do, okay?

Love & Merry Christmas,
Sue

For those who believe, no proof is necessary. ~ Stuart Chase

No comments:

Post a Comment