Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Royal (Wedding) Pain

Like I said over here - I have total Royal Wedding fever. I like the whole idea - the pomp, the circumstance, the traditions. The romance. The fashion.

Seems, though, that there's a growing contingency of people who have big issues with all the hype.

"Who cares? They're just another couple getting married."

"What an obscene amount of money to spend on a wedding!"

That money could be put to much better use; what a waste."

The thing is - the Royal Family is loaded. It's hard to estimate the family's actual worth because it's more than just a bank account. It's also land, and interests in the Bank of England. But they've got some cash, which means they can afford to put on this party - while still giving substantially to multiple charities. For them, the expense on this wedding isn't much different than if an average family dropped, say $10,000-$20,000.

As for the happy couple - it's not as though they're registered for appliances at Target. Anyone who wants to give them a gift can do so through the The Prince William and Miss Catherine Middleton Charitable Gift Fund.

Some think that it's silly to make this big a deal over any wedding - when most end in divorce. But keep in mind - divorce statistics in other countries aren't necessarily what they are in the US. And divorce statistics among royals? Well....there really aren't any.

So, does that make it some silly fairy tale? I don't think so. Actually, I think it's the opposite. This isn't an arranged marriage, like many royals have had in the past. It's not being done to merge two families, or to solve a land dispute.

William and Catherine met in college. They fell in love. The dated, broke up and got back together. They've each taken time to establish their own life - and now, at twenty-nine years old, they are ready to commit to one another. My guess? They have as much chance as anyone else.

They just happen to be able to afford a really elaborate ceremony.

So why do people take such offense? I guess because it's in our nature to be upset when someone has something that we know could never be ours. Our reaction is to look for the flaws; to poke holes in the plan.

But that's sort of....rude, isn't it? I mean, they're a couple and they're in love and they're getting married. Shouldn't they have the right to celebrate that with family and friends, just like anyone else?

Well, anyway - I think so. I plan to celebrate with them - by getting up obscenely early on Friday, April 29 and tuning in to CNN or Eonline or wherever I can find the coverage I want to see.

In the meantime - stop messing with my happiness. You haters are turning into a royal pain.

2 comments:

  1. I don't begrudge them their happiness or excitement, I just don't care about it. I kind of wish they were able to get married and not have the ENTIRE world all up in their business. Know what I mean? I would hate for Princess Diana's death to have been in vain and while they've been able to do a pretty good job at keeping their private lives private, their wedding is indeed a show for the entire world...I just hope they don't get lost in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true - though the spectacle is all part of the royal lifestyle. It's expected of William because of his birthright and status - it goes along with the land and castles and mansions and servants and jewels and endless money. Catherine's marrying into it, and she knew what she signed up for.

    But I get what you mean. Make sure it's about the marriage, not the wedding. Hopefully they do that.

    I'm just tired of the people who are judging, saying they're awful people for spending all that money on the wedding. It's their money, so why shouldn't they spend the way they want to? *shrugs* If I had it, I'd throw myself one hell of a party. :)

    ReplyDelete