Thursday, December 18, 2014

Stuff I learned in 2014

It's been kind of a long year. A whole lot has happened, yet in some ways I still feel like I am in the same spot. I figured out some things I want to fix, and I'm doing OK, but feel like I have a little ways to go. I thought it might help to look back at what I actually learned and accomplished in 2014.
 
I learned that positive thinking actually works. I allowed myself to visualize the way I wanted my life to look on my 40th birthday - and it happened. To be honest, I thought I had a hold of the whole positive thinking thing a while back, but I really don't think I truly "got" it until this year.
 
I learned that you're never too far gone to start making better choices. Earlier this year I made some horrible, icky decisions (yeah, it was pretty bad). I thought there was no way to recover from those mistakes, but have since figured out it was as simple as forgiving myself, and then saying, "no more."
 
I learned that my life will probably never look the way I thought it would. More importantly, I learned that's OK with me. My happiness doesn't have to be like everyone else's, it just has to make me smile.
 
I learned that my past might shape me, but it doesn't have to define me.
 
I learned that a person is never too old to learn patience. I also learned that patience is not an easy thing to learn.
 
I learned what faith really is - and I learned that it works.
 
I learned was reminded that the most important people are those who will tell you the truth, even when it is not what you want to hear.
 
I learned that when you build walls to protect yourself from the bad, you also block your blessings. Letting people in is a risk - but it's one that's worth taking.
 
I learned that a lot can happen in a year. I'm ready to see what might happen in 2015.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment