Tuesday, January 31, 2012

January challenge: What I learned

I completed my fitness challenge for January - and I learned a few things.

- I can go a whole day without eating meat, but I can't necessarily do it the same day every week
- I need to eat more fish
- Brown rice isn't that bad
- Neither is multi-grain anything
- I can't survive without caffeine
- I need to drink more water

For February, I'm going to modify a few of these challenges. I'm going to try and drink more water everyday - 6-8 glasses is my goal. I'm going to switch to multi-grain wherever possible, including pasta. I'm going to try and eat no meat at last one day a week, and another day where the only meat I'm allowed is fish.

For February, I'll be joining Baking Suit in a challenge inspired by this post. For my part, I'll be setting an NSV (Non-Scale Victory) goal, setting and tracking nutrition parameters and committing to an exercise goal.

- My non-scale victory will be to lose 4 inches (from wherever)*

- My nutrition goal will be to drink 6-8 glasses of water a day, and eat at or below my recommended calories at least 4 out of 7 days a week. I'll track this via My Fitness Pal.

- My exercise goal will be to get to the gym a minimum of 3 times per week. (I'm already doing this, but not with any consistency.)

I have no plans to weigh myself, so I won't be able to report any weight loss numbers, even if they do happen. If, in my mind, going to the gym and eating better are tied to a new weight, and I don't get to that weight, I'll give up on the healthy goals. And, let's face it - drinking more water, eating better and going to the gym are good for me, no matter what I weigh. So, I don't want to do anything to discourage myself.

I can be very complicated sometimes.


*I'm not actually sure if 4 inches is a reasonable goal, or too difficult (or too easy). I tried to find out what made sense, and the best answer I could find was that one inch per week was reasonable.

2 comments:

  1. New to the blog, and I love it.

    I have the same theory about not really weighing... but measuring.

    Getting Healthy is my major concern!

    www.katerivonstealsnewlife.blogspot.com

    KVS

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...drinking more water, eating better and going to the gym are good for me, no matter what I weigh."
    That, is what it's all about. Congrats on your progress - Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete