Monday, September 19, 2011

Movie Monday: You Again

I had roughly one hundred things to do on Saturday - so naturally, I started with my netflix queue. You Again was first up. Have you seen it? It's a comedy - but not the romantic sort.

It's more a coming-of-age comedy. Marni (Kristen Bell) is a high school nerd turned super-success who returns home for her brother's wedding - to find he's marrying her teenage nemesis. So, Marni is barely recovering from all the time this girl stole from her as a kid - and now she's back to steal some more. High school sucked for me, so I can relate - this is the stuff nightmares are made of.

There's more to the story, naturally, and you can probably guess how the movie ends. It's your basic, Hollywood happy ending, everyone learns a lesson and becomes a better person. If not for the PG rating, it could easily be an eighties situation comedy, or an after school special.

Of course there's just enough silly nonsense mixed in with the lesson to make you laugh, and think, "Yeah, that would totally happen to me." (Or at least, that's what you'd think if you were me.)

It's a good movie; not a great movie. But if the weather is so-so, and you need to distract yourself from doing anything productive clean out your netflix queue - it's perfect.

** Wait for TV / Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment