Thursday, August 19, 2010

Tall Order

Confession: I'm not a huge verbal communicator. I've been much more comfortable sharing my thoughts via written word since...well, since I held my first crayon. I have a very reactive personality, and I tend to read into things and jump to conclusions. Writing helps me avoid those pitfalls. It gives me the chance to calm down, and also shift my focus off of my own feelings, and onto the other person.

More and more, I'm finding there are conversations that need to be in person. Sometimes texting/messaging is too short a medium, and email isn't instant enough. Sometimes, what you write may seem crystal clear to you, but it is not clear to the other person. If you're not there to read body language, or interpret your words - the message can get lost in translation. 

This is probably the hardest thing for me, especially in important relationships. I am afraid of repeating previous mistakes (See read into things and jump to conclusions; two things that do not facilitate effective communication.) So I often put off having a conversation.

It's a tall order: Get my own feelings under control; identify whether the conversation even needs to take place; anticipate the other person's feelings, to avoid hurting them; and deliver my message succinctly, intelligently, and sincerely, with compassion and confidence.

I know it's something I need to work on. But for right now, is there any chance I could just get you to read this blog post? 

No comments:

Post a Comment