Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Thoughts from "quarantine"

I keep wanting to share observations, but there are too many for a comment or a tweet. So here we go... a random collection of my thoughts over the last month.

First of all... I really hate using the word "quarantine." The definition of quarantine is medical isolation, where you have contact with literally no other person. Not. One. I feel like the word should be reserved for those who are sick, and truly aren't going anywhere for at least 14 days. The rest of us are lucky to be safe at home.

People do realize that not everything on YouTube is true, right? Videos can be edited just as easily as blog posts. The truth in this case is just like the truth in every other case: Somewhere in the middle. 

Along those lines, people do realize that not all liberals and Democrats believe we should be social distancing, yes? Also, not all the people who question the recommendations are Republican or conservative. It just isn't that simple.

I have spent an alarming amount of money on my nails in the last month. I am looking forward to salons opening again so I can save money. 

Related: I will have a better nail strategy in place for future social distancing orders. 

My hair is another story. I've ordered a flat iron and new shampoo; I'll report back.

Other than missing hair and nail appointments, my life isn't that much different right now. I'm an introvert who lives alone and works from home full-time; I guess this is what I've been training for.


I am truly surprised at the ease of access so many people have to their senior high school photo.

Never again will I go back to ordering Chipotle in person.

People who are working are annoyed that they can't collect unemployment. People out of work just want to go back. Just like every parent complains about driving their kids all over, until now, when they complain about being "stuck" at home all the time. We all want what we can't have. Crisis is no different.

People will take any opportunity to drive like maniacs. 

Related: I've been driving more this last month, because I'm moving (yes, in the middle of a pandemic; do not recommend). I appreciate the lower gas prices.

I've seen a lot of talk about "quarantine dreams." Suffering from anxiety, I have horrible dreams more nights than I don't. I honestly didn't even notice a difference.

Why are people not having their tax refund direct deposited? Before you say, "because I don't get a refund," tell me why you wouldn't have the money you owed automatically withdrawn? Then the IRS would have your bank info. 

I liked Cuomo's briefings at first. Having facts helps my anxiety. I have found daily briefings less helpful, and think the frequency should be reduced.

That said, I'm not sure I totally understand people who are anxious, but sharing alarmist theories about this whole thing. Facts are helpful; opinions less so.

I am grateful for technology that offers us a chance at "normalcy" during this time.

That said... conference calls (which have become video calls) are actually more stressful to me. Don't people realize those microphones pick up everything?

I have a virtual appointment today with my counselor. Wonder what we'll talk about? 






No comments:

Post a Comment