Thursday, April 5, 2012

Vacation

I'm on vacation - though today is my last day in our lovely destination. Tomorrow, we begin a very long drive home - even longer because there are two youngsters in the car. Yay! They're super-cool kids, though, and I've had a wonderful time. No complaints.

But, being on vacation has made me think about a few things. Specifically, how it seems that for each thing I like about vacation, there seems to be something I don't.

I think that's the good thing about vacation. I mean - you wouldn't want to go on a vacation that made you never want to get back to real life...if you did, you'd end up hating your reality. And who wants to live like that?

I think a good vacation is one that offers you a break, and a chance to recharge - while reminding you of all you have at home.

The three things I like (the most) about vacation (in no particular order):

  • No alarm clock/watch
  • The sound of the surf when I'm sleeping
  • Ocean air means no allergies
Of course, there's always the things I like least (also in no particular order):
  • Temptation to stray from my diet
  • Missing my favorite person
  • Missing my kitties
Believe it or not, I've been counting my calories while I've been away. I know I've gone over - but I also know by how much, so it's not like I just went hog-wild. I also did make it to the resort's fitness center two nights this week. Honestly - none of the cardio choices are arthritis-friendly, so I actually don't think it did me too much good, except to keep me in the routine. 

Something else that's hard to believe? In addition to getting back to my favorite people (and Pudge and Joe), I'm actually looking forward to getting back to my exercise routine. I know, right? I was as surprised as you. 

Mostly, I'm homesick for my favorite people, my home, and the spring weather I left behind. I guess for me, the best part of vacation is that it reminds me of all I have worth missing.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm Ocean sounds...
    I'm guessing you went to WildWood, NJ?
    That is an awful ride from me, and you're about 2 hours north of me.

    Don't forget to stop by on your way home!
    For a rest stop!!!!
    Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kateri - actually, I was in Myrtle Beach last week. An even worse ride - about 12 hours non-stop, to my cousin's house downstate. We traveled overnight to keep our stops and the traffic to a minimum, so it took us about 14 hours each way, plus another 2 hours for me.

    I will be flying for my next vacation. :)

    ReplyDelete