Tuesday, December 27, 2011

One day at a time

"The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time." Abraham Lincoln

If someone told me a year ago that I would be this happy at the end of 2011 - I would have thought him crazy. The truth is, sometimes life is like that - it gets really, really dark, just before the light breaks.

It happened after my divorce, too. I never thought things could be good again - and I certainly never believed I'd be happier. Then someone gave me a print with Lincoln's quote - and I found hope I never thought possible.

There's a lot of hope, and faith, in that statement. Having faith in the future gives us hope that things can, and will, change for the better. You just have to be willing to open yourself up to the possibility that something good is right around the corner. You have to accept that it might not happen exactly how or when you expect.

Find hope in the fact that, even though things might be bad now - you just never know what might happen next. If you aren't happy, believe that you can, and will, be in the future. Trust that the world will give you what you need, and put you on the path where you belong.

Now, when things are looking bad, I remind myself of where I've been - and where I am. I think about how, at one point, I never thought things could be okay again - and how now, they're better than ever. When I look at it that way - I'm filled with more peace and hope than I ever thought was possible.

Tomorrow may just be the best day of your life - you just have to get there.

6 comments:

  1. Way way way too much optimism for two days after Xmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS. It's going to make a print out of it for my new office. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GenWar - Figured I'd save the, "Life sucks-I hate the gym-Why's it so $#%*ing cold out-My job sucks" post for after the new year. Start 2012 off with a bang. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really am so happy for you, Sue. I feel the same way about getting a job when I thought there was nothing out there. Though getting up to be at the office at 8:30am is just not as satisfying as I'd hoped :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. See...here's the problem with the theory...And don't think I'm not happy for you that you're happy, cause that's not it...It's just that, in my experience, that's bunk and here's why...

    There are a lot of days. And every day, you're getting through to the next one. And the next one is never any better, but that's ok, cause your getting through to the next one...

    Scientifically speaking, how many days have to pass before it becomes statistically improbable that it is going to get better? It doesn't matter, because you are never looking back, always forward.

    It is blind optimism, which, IMHO, translates to delusion...

    ReplyDelete
  6. GenWar - Oooorrr... Maybe the idea that things never get better is the delusion. Why does anyone have to settle for just getting to the next day? That's all about perception, which we control.

    ReplyDelete