Monday, June 20, 2011

Be afraid

I'm sort of a scaredy-cat. Case-in-Point:

  • For a long time, I was afraid to have a car with automatic windows, because of how easy it would be to get trapped if the car was submerged in water. Because that happens all the time. 
  • I'm basically convinced that if I ever took a cruise, the ship would either get stuck on a sand-bar, and I'd have to eat Spam for a week - or a giant, thought-to-be-extinct sea creature would swallow it whole. 
  • It took X all the power, will and trickery he could come up with to get me on a plane - because I was convinced the thing would crash the minute I set foot. 
  • I once insisted on setting the house alarm to keep Freddy and Jason from getting me in my sleep. Because if two psycho killers, one who has come back from the dead multiple times and another who invades dreams, were to set their sights on me, of course the house alarm would be helpful.
Whatever. I never claimed to be normal.

Some of my fears are based in reality - and just manifest themselves in really weird ways. Other fears have absolutely no basis whatsoever. The thing is, I do my best not to let them take over my life. I work through them when I can, accept them when I must and make a joke about them always.

Except snakes. I. Hate. Snakes. And I have no idea why. 

I have always said that if I ever had a snake problem at my house (which is in the city; snakes aren't exactly prevalent) I'd just sell the thing. And I would. And when I say problem, I mean there's one tiny, non-venomous garden snake living in the yard. To me, that's the equivalent of the Amityville Horror. (By the way - I freaked out when I found out that movie was based on a true story. Freaked. Out.)

So, when I found this article on the Times Union website, I nearly cried. And I did, in fact, have nightmares that night. When I retweeted the article saying I'd move or set the place on fire - I wasn't kidding. 

So that's my worst fear. What's yours? (Rational or otherwise - we're all friends here.)

5 comments:

  1. Definitely snakes. That article made me shudder. When I was a kid, I was at my next door neighbor's house in their kitchen and a baby garter snake was slithering up the screen door. I screamed and ran home (overdramatic, perhaps, but such is life). I am deathly afraid of snakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, Sue - I have to admit I laughed out loud at some of your fears and how you described them only because I share some of your fears and feel the same way about them but can't communicate them like you do. Thanks for making me feel "normal" ; ) wink

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a fear of open water, in particular the ocean. Not knowing what's underneath me is just freaky. My fear of the ocean has real basis though - once got caught in a riptide, then later that same day the beach was closed due to sharks (you could see them swimming through the six foot swells - creepy).

    *Fellow non-cruise taker here*

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only real fear I have is of failing and of not being good enough at something. It's really the only reason I don't try new things...I'm afraid of being bad at it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute~Ella - That's understandable, though with you, not really rational. Given how good you are at everything you put your mind to. :)

    Erinn - I share that fear, too. If I go in the ocean at all, it's only up to my knees, and usually only because some little kid who I like asked me to.

    jlkratky - You're welcome! Most people aren't nearly as normal as they pretend to be. Might as well embrace my quirkiness. :) Plus, everyone's got fear.

    Sassy - I'd have run home too. Seriously. Up the freaking door?!!?

    ReplyDelete