Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Home Run

Tough not to like, though.
I like baseball; and I'm a Yankee fan (but not an A-Rod fan). The first time I ever visited (old) Yankee Stadium, my heart skipped a beat when I stepped through the tunnel out onto the field level. 

Is it because I love sports? No. I'm not competitive, and there's a lot of rules (rules aren't really my thing). Is it because I like guys. Well... Wait, no that's a different post. Focus. 

I love the energy. Baseball is played everyday, and the real, true champions (see right) take the field hurt, tired or just plain frustrated. I love the history. When you visit a stadium, even if it's new, you can feel the history everywhere you go. I love the style. They stick with what works. Progress is great, but some things were meant to be left alone. Baseball is like that - classic and elegant. 

I love that when you go to a ballpark, everyone is on the same team (unless you're  a Red Sox or Mets fan, which is also another post). I once sat in the upper deck at Yankee Stadium when they were playing the Indians. Some poor soul was sitting in our section wearing her Indians gear proudly - even though they were losing. Big time. I believe the final score was 21-2. She took the loss well and never once stopped cheering. At the end of the game, her biggest hecklers walked over and shook her hand. That's baseball.

Not That kind of sharing - Ouch!

The other thing I love about baseball? Sharing. Sports like football are fun to watch, but everything happens so fast. If I don't pay attention, I miss something - so I'm forced to wear my tunnel vision glasses, and not interact with anyone. Baseball's not like that (well, not always). Sure, some plays happen lightening-fast, but it's usually more relaxed. It gives me time to catch up. (Which I need; I confuse easily. I still don't get the infield-fly rule and I can never remember all three save situations.) It also gives me time to people-watch. (Which may contribute to the confusion. Don't judge.)

$18 worth of stadium dining.
On the plus side? Mountain Dew.

Last week, I shared a game with my Dad. I had two tickets to a Yankee game. My Dad is a fan, and he hadn't been to the new stadium, so I invited him to join me.

We got there early, and had our pick of yummy, over-priced ballpark food (I tweeted endlessly about our choices, which included Johnny Rockets, BBQ, Sushi, Chinese, Italian, Carvel - and, of course, hot dogs.) We ate, and the my dad got busy taking photos with his phone in one hand and his camera in the other (that may be genetic). Even though they lost, we still had fun. We laughed, talked - and made some good memories that we'll always share.

That's what I love most about baseball. It's timeless fun, made up of memories, sharing and hopes for the future. What's better than that?     

Ghost of baseball future?

No comments:

Post a Comment