Monday, September 20, 2010

Drama Royalty

When someone loves drama, do we call them a drama "queen" because women are more often associated with drama? I suppose that makes some sense - if by drama queen, we mean a person who over-reacts or is irrational. [Face it - those are usually female characteristics. *shrugs*] I can say that because I used to be one of those women. I was always looking for the next thing to worry about, and any little thing became a big deal. 

I think there's more to a drama queen than just irrational worrying or over reacting. That's too passive - you have to wait for something to worry about, or to which you can react. The real Drama Royalty (both women and men) don't wait - they go looking for the drama. 

You know who I mean. It might be that coworker who is always looking for a problem to solve. Or that sibling who over-commits, and then complains about how much he has to do. Or what about the cousin who is always saying something about other family members, and then repeating your half of the conversation back (out of context, of course). Or it might be that aunt who tells every story as though it's a tragedy. 

What about cheating? Or starting a fight with your spouse/other? Do you consider that drama? I do. It seems to me that if you really want a peaceful, drama-free life, you'll avoid situations that could cause a fight, create worry, etc. 

Drama Royalty are the people who surround themselves with problems. They worry about stuff that hasn't happened yet - and they worry about stuff that won't affect them. They look for the hidden meaning in what someone says, so that they have a reason to be upset. They want things to be more difficult so that they can go through the motions of overcoming the obstacles. 

Don't get me wrong - I'm not diminishing the real problems people tackle every day. But - it doesn't have to be a production. I have friends who have gone through serious health problems, life changes, etc. - and handle it without complaining. I also have friends who shout "stop the presses" over an unexpected doctor bill for $10.

Like I said, I used to be one of the women who over reacted, and I worried a lot. Then one day, I took a hard look at my life. I suddenly realized that this was not the person I wanted to be. I was hurting other people, my relationships - and myself. I decided to change, and am happier for that choice.

Maybe that's why I don't understand why anyone would choose to live as drama royalty. Because it's also a royal pain in the.... Crown. 


No comments:

Post a Comment