Monday, August 22, 2011

Movie Monday: Captain America

X taught me a lot - and since we're friends, he actually continues to teach me, just less frequently.

Two things he taught me to love were baseball, and movies. He tried to teach me to love comic books, but that never took. I did learn enough to know that, since he read comics, he was in no position to criticize my love for General Hospital.

Comics and soaps are really not much different. Both are ongoing, evolving stories that, in many cases, have been around since before many current fans were even born. Both have roots in reality, as well as some fantasy. Both play up the ridiculous, campy side of life. Both have cross-over story lines, story-arcs that intertwine and both rely heavily on consistency and accuracy.

Both also have the occasional, failed story-line and require a reboot.

Something else they have in common are the fans. They are loyal, unyielding and very, very particular about how a story is told.

I know from experience how difficult a comic book movie can be for a long time fan. The movie makes are trying to fit years and years worth of story into two hours. That means short cuts, omitted details, and slight inaccuracies abound, all in the name of "good movie making."

I'm told that's not the case with Captain America. I have it on good authority that even the most die-hard Captain fans will appreciate and enjoy the movie. I'm told that they can overlook that a few details were changed, left out, etc. - because they captured the main points of the story, and told it well.

One thing to keep in mind - the movie is set in World War II. I won't spoil the story - but the whole point of Captain America is that he was a super-soldier created as a way to fight the Nazis. Now, I basically slept and passed notes in American History class, but even I scratched my head a little at some of the historical um...details.

But, I can say this - it's a good movie. Since I'm not a comic fan, or a history buff, it's easy for me to overlook the details, and watch a movie like this for what it's worth - an excellent action movie, with a fun story, and a star that is very easy on the eyes.

I recommend grabbing some popcorn and checking it out.

***** I saw it twice and will buy the DVD

No comments:

Post a Comment