Friday, November 12, 2010

Friday Fun 11/12/2010

For a while, I wasn't crazy about Fridays. Not having anyone with whom to share my weekends kind of bummed me out and took some of the happy out of my week coming to an end.

I'm coming into the busiest, most stressful time of year for me at work (You know, the job that actually pays me?). Since I'm also getting out of my rut a little bit, I'm finally coming to my senses and realizing - Fridays are always a good thing. If for no other reason - I don't have to go there.

In that spirit, if you want to call it that, I thought I'd list the top things I don't like about my job. Call it a rant, call it whining, call it a cleanse - call it a last minute idea for an end-of-the-week blog entry (cause that's what it really is).

Then it occurred to me - I need to put out at least as much good energy as I do bad. So, I'm including a list of things that I do like. You can never be too careful.

No, really - I do.
Things I Like

I work in a small office (only two people). This often means I'm alone.

The Vice President I work with knows he needs me more than I need him. That translates into some perks, including Yankee tickets for my birthday.

I just found out that I get a discount at Sprint. Yay!

I work next door to a mall.

I've been at this a long time, and am pretty good at what I do. Therefore, I am well-paid and often feared. That, combined with the aforementioned isolation, means I get away with an awful lot.

Things I Dislike

I didn't ask for this job. I had a job that I actually liked but the portion of the company that I worked for was sold. The buyer (my new employer) made a deal with my old employer that affected a bunch of us. Now, here I am.

Because I joined the company as the result of a buy-out, I came onboard fast, with no real training or orientation. I've been playing catch up for two years.

Just remember - it could always be worse.

While I can't complain about my salary - I haven't had a raise in two years. During those two years, I divorced, reducing my household income - but not my household costs. You do the math.

My small office has the worst network set up in the history of technology. If you follow my tweets, you know what I'm talking about.

When I say small office, I mean just that. My coworker is a Vice President (which means little here; they're all VPs) has a nice office. I work in a closet.


I could go on; but I won't. Let's just say, the real lists aren't the same length. But, it's Friday - so for today, anyway, the scales are tipped in the "like" favor!!

What's on your list? Either one.

No comments:

Post a Comment