Thursday, March 17, 2011

Beauty sleep

A while back, I decided to make some changes in my life. Things were not going as well as I'd hoped, and I felt like I was spinning my wheels, focused on the wrong things.

I refocused on myself - and changed a few habits.

One of those habits was my night-time routine. By routine, I of course mean me hanging out at home, on the internet and maybe watching Friends or something from Netflix. There's nothing wrong with hanging out at home, and there are certainly many productive things I can do on the interwebz. But I found that by 10-11, I wasn't being productive - at all. I was just surfing around, wasting time - and causing trouble.

It was also interfering with my sleep. That's bad because a) sleep is very important for your health, 2) sleep is very important in keeping your skin looking good, and c) I am not a morning person to begin with, and I don't need lack-of-sleep working against me.

So, one change that I made was forcing myself to close the laptop and turn off the TV (if it was on) and head to bed earlier. If I wasn't tired, no worries - I have bunches of books downloaded on my Nook (thanks, Santa) so I catch up on my reading. After a couple of weeks I found that I was waking up earlier and easier, my eyes hurt less in the evening and I was caught up on more "stuff" at home. I also realized some of my internet habits were creating more headache than they're worth, and now I have fewer of those particular headaches..

Conclusion? Articles like this hold some water. Also, I should not be allowed to use the internet after 10 without supervision, anyway. I cause too much trouble.

3 comments:

  1. Great post! I find it SO HARD to break out of routines, regardless of how they make me feel (not too smart, I know). Kudos for making the changes you needed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to give this a try...

    ReplyDelete