Monday, February 7, 2011

Stupid should be taxable

I wrote this post a few weeks ago, talking about kids and parenting. It's worth noting that the whole freakin' reason I wrote the post in the first place was because I really do have a friend who was looking for a place to have a baby shower. But just saying that is boring to me. I wanted to tell a bit of a story.

As it happened, the very same night that my friend asked me for venue ideas, I was at the mall with a friend, we did hear a little kid crying, and we did look at each other in that "make it stop" moment. I told that I think a parenting license is a good idea. She laughed; I assumed others would too.

Soooo - I blogged it. All I really wanted to do was to share a fun little story related to babies and showers and what-not and then get some input for my friend. Could I just do that? Of course not. A commenter latched onto my comment about "vetting" parents and a follow up comment about parenting classes - and all but suggested I'm a nazi.

I'm no nazi (I was never even a girl scout for crying out loud) but I have been looking into this whole ruthless leader thing. I started a list of laws that I would enforce if I were a ruthless leader - and penalties for violating the rules. The list really grew too long to share in a post - but I noticed a theme.

I'm all for improving the basic infrastructure of our society. I think wifi should be free - everywhere and always. I think every business that can be paperless should be. I think roads should be well-maintained, I think the disabled and elderly should be cared for and respected. I think taxes should be lower, and government should be smaller.

The problem? Solutions cost money. If taxes were reduced, where do the funds come from. My idea? I think we should tax stupidity. Ask a stupid question - like, how do I call someone's cell phone if they're in Europe? - you pay a tax. Take up two spaces in the parking lot - pay a tax. Call someone after you've sent them an email? Pay a huge tax.

You get the idea. Like one, giant stupid-jar. Every time we say (or do) something that could be avoided through plain-old common sense - we pay a fine. That money (which I think would pile up fast and furious) could be used to fund all the projects.

I don't pretend to be an expert; I've never run a business (or a government). Maybe there are some details that would need to be worked out. It just seems to me that the world could use a little less stupidity, and this might be one way to curtail the problem.

But then again - what do I know?

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on this one. I'm going to start sharing some of my favorite stupid tweets and fb statuses and you can start collecting!

    ReplyDelete