Thursday, July 14, 2011

Thirty Days of Me: Day Thirteen

The Thirty Days of Me project is explained here. The challenge for day thirteen: A letter to someone who has hurt you recently.


You know who you are. You're the guys who say I'm not pretty or thin enough. The one who didn't even have the nerve to write me back and tell me you didn't want to go out. You're the client or the coworker who treats me like a secretary, just because I'm younger - and female. You're the person who cut me off in line because your time is so much more important than mine. You're the friends who didn't invite me out because I'm not the "fun" one. You're the family member who begged me for help, and then belittled what I do.

Sure, it's happened recently. But the truth is, it's been going on since I was a little kid. I've gotten angry. I've cried. I've used it as an excuse to be miserable. I've hidden behind the fear of it ever happening again.

At one time, I would have told you how I cried myself to sleep. I would have told you how I lashed out at the people closest to me, because I was angry with you. I would have told you how I pushed people away because I was too afraid to let anyone get close. I would have told you how I stayed in a safe place, whether I was happy or not - just to be safe.

But now, I just have one thing to say:

Thank you.

Thank you for pushing me past the point of safe; for making me see that the world is bigger and brighter than I ever imagined. For showing me that walls aren't the way to go. They keep out the bad - but they also keep out all the good.

Thank you for showing me that I can survive the worst - so I really don't have to be afraid of anything.

2 comments: