Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Thirty Days of Me: Day Nineteen

The Thirty Days of Me project is explained here. The challenge for day nineteen: What are some nicknames you have, and why do you have them?

I hate nicknames. Most of the time, I think they are a sign of disrespect; that someone's name isn't important enough to learn, or remember. A sign that you see them as just a pretty girl or a little boy, rather than an individual man or woman.

But I know a lot of times, the intention behind nicknames is affection. We use them to express familiarity and intimacy.

Technically, "Sue" is a nickname; my full first name is Susan. I reserve that for business dealings, and people who I really don't like that much. When a friend or family member calls me Susan, I expect to be sent to my room immediately.

Other than Sue, a few nicknames have made it past my barrier over the years. They are:

Suse - only my father and my cousin are allowed to call me by this name.

Susie - my grandmother liked this nickname, and many followed her lead. If you knew me before I was 13, I'll let this go, even now. If you haven't known me that long, and address me by Susie - I simply won't answer.

Q - a shortened version of Susie Q, this was a short-lived nickname given to me by a boy on whom I had a huge crush in grade school. That's the only reason I let it go.

Soup - only Chrissy's kids get away with this. Ever.

What are your nicknames?

No comments:

Post a Comment