Monday, January 3, 2011

Number Crunching

When 2010 started, I had no idea how to blog. I knew how to write, since I've been doing it on and off since I could hold a pencil. But blogging? Whole new thing.

I'm far from an expert, but I have learned a lot in the last ten months. Like a lot of endeavors, blogging seems to have a creative end - and a business end. The creative piece is your content - what you say, and how you share. The business end is deciding who your audience is, and how you're going to reach them. Then finding ways to increase that audience, and keep them engaged - so that they will also help you increase your audience. 

I'm somewhat of a stats person. While I find stats interesting, I am not at all interested in putting them together myself, and I'm terrible at analyzing them. The thing I find most intriguing is the idea that someone would find that interesting. Still - I find myself drawn to the Stats tab in my blogger dashboard, to see what's what. That's the business end of this little endeavor - figuring out who was looking, how they got here, and what they liked the most.



Seems that Gates still beats Jobs in this little war; 79% of my page views were on a Windows operating system - 40% on Internet Explorer and 25% on Firefox. Mac was the second biggest system, and Chrome, Safari, Opera were the other big browsers. 

The majority of my page views were in the United States. However, so of our neighbors to the north also checked me out, as did people in Denmark, Russia, Australia, United Arab Emirates, India, South Korea and  several other countries. Pretty darn cool. 

Twitter.com was by far my biggest source. I also generated some hits off of timesunion.com and Cute~Ella's blog.  

As for the favorite posts of the year? The top ten:


What does this all mean? Stay tuned. I'm still working on that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment