Tuesday, November 6, 2012

NaBloPoMo - Presidential actions

Today, we elect a President. Fabulous. Now we can all go back to normal, and argue about important things like the Kardashians and X-Factor.

I'm not sure I could do the President's job. I mean - that's a crap-ton of pressure. I have respect for anyone who can take his personal beliefs, set them aside, and do what's best for everyone as a whole. I'm not sure I could.

I understand our economy is tanked and our foreign policy needs a lot of work. Some decisions need to be made - and as President, that's something I would delegate. Trust me - you don't want me in charge when it comes to that stuff . I can barely even balance my own checkbook.

As far as social issues... I guess I'd want to look at making sure that people's rights are protected in the Constitution. Take the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) for instance.

My opinion on same-sex marriage* aside, I have a real problem with the Constitution being used as a vehicle to take away rights. I prefer to think of it as a way to ensure and protect rights.

Truth be told, I think the Federal Government should keep its nose out of marriage. Since DOMA - a conservative initiative - put that nose where it doesn't belong, I think the government is obligated to make sure rights of all citizens are protected, at least as far as the Constitution is concerned.

I'm not gay, so I have no personal interest in protecting gay rights. But even if what matters to me personally is different than what matters to the next person - the point is, we all have personal rights that need protecting.

If I can't trust my government to protect the rights of my friends - how can I trust my government to protect my rights?

The answer is - I can't. I think the government needs to do whatever it can to reassure all people that their rights are just as imporant as the next person's.

*All that said - love is love. No one knows better than me how damn-near-impossible it is to find good, honest, pure, sincere love. I can't for the life of me wrap my mind around any belief that love should be restricted. 

If two grown, unattached, (mostly) sane people capable of making their own decisions can find love - who is anyone else to judge? Now cut it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment