Wednesday, June 30, 2010

My Two Cents

This morning on twitter, I was directed to a post by a blogger for our major local newspaper. It was generally offensive, suggesting that people with tattoos are...well..not as good as people without (I'm paraphrasing). She further commented by suggesting that her commenters were not reading her whole post.
I'm not linking to the blog, because I have no interest in promoting its writer or her views. However, it appears that my comment, and those of others who disagree with the blogger, may not be shared - so I wanted to share mine here. Because, well - this is where I share, darn it. :-)

Whether you like tattoos or not, you can’t judge how much meaning one has simply because it isn’t obvious to you. A butterfly, a flower or even a skull might not mean much to you, but it could have a lot of meaning to someone else.

Re Comment #25: Intended or not, your post sounds harsh and judgemental. You’re suggesting that people with tattoos a) were not parented well and b) will have no ability to be effective parents. Not only that – you’re making that assumption based on nothing else other than the fact that they have a tattoo.

That suggests that you make unfair assumptions about people in general, just because they do something you don’t agree with. That’s offensive to just about anyone. Either way, yelling at the commenters is unnecessary. We’re only sharing our opinion – which is exactly what you were doing in the first place, and the point of the blog, isn’t it?

For the record – I have no tattoos. I read your whole post and all the comments here before adding my own. I don’t agree with you – that doesn’t mean I lack education or reading skills. It simply means I can think for myself.

2 comments:

  1. I really can't believe she had the nerve to post about this. I have been reading the comments all day and it infuriates me.

    The one thing I will add is that while I am seriously angry with the post, it was genius on her part. I can only imagine the hits she has received today. I have been there numerous times today to see what people wrote.

    Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hate when people judge others using some superficial, arbitrary criteria. It's sad and pathetic. 'Different' is what makes the world go 'round. Why would we ever want everyone to be the same?

    ReplyDelete