Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Santa Claus is a Democrat

"I don't believe in the Republican party or the Democratic party. I just believe in parties." [Samantha Jones, SATC]

I turned 18 in 1992. That was the year that Bill Clinton was running for President against the sitting President, George Bush. I was so proud to be able to vote, and so sure I agreed with Clinton, that I registered as a Democrat. It never even ocurred to me to register as anything else, or not to register with any party at all.

I believed that the Democrats wanted to protect freedom of expression, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, etc. I believed Republicans were all stuffy and conservative and believed only white, rich, Christian men should have any real power. I put the members of the two parties into very distinct boxes: Republicans were conservative and Democrats were liberal.

"God is a Republican and Santa Claus is a Democrat." - Henry Louis Mencken [<-- Yeah, like that.]
I'm pro-choice, in favor of same-sex marriage, I believe marijuana and prostitution should probably be legal, and I don't practice any organized religion. I am anything but conservative. So you can imagine my surprise when I started talking to some Republican friends and found [*gasp*] that Republican doesn't always equate to conservative. I was even more surprised (no - shocked is probably a better word) to find that I actually agree with some of the Republican ideology. For example; welfare. I don't believe in it. Period. (That's the Republican coming out.) Now, the Democrat does yank me back a bit and reminds me that there are deserving people and circumstances under which aid is necessary. OK - but only in those circumstances. There is, afterall, no free lunch.

What about health care reform? Economic bailouts? Nope, not on that page, either. Sorry Democrats, but I really want to keep the health insurance I've spent the last 20 years earning. And I get the point of bailouts...but I really wish you wouldn't be so free with my money. I earned it; they didn't. They need to learn to budget better...just like I did.

I have encountered people who have told me that I have a "sense of entitlement;" that I think I deserve a better home or a better car or a better job. That I'm out of line for spending money on new shoes or a nice dinner when I could donate that money, or use it to take care of someone less fortunate.

Know what? I do like nice things, and I do believe I am entitled to a better home, car and job. Why? I work hard. I have a job I don't like because it pays what I need to maintain the life I want. I pay my bills, I pay my taxes, I save, I donate...and, yes, I spend some on me. Democrats seem to want me to feel bad about that. "You should give more. You should do more." I can't. You took my extra income.

So, thanks Democrats for preserving (so far) a woman's right to choose. And I appreciate the supreme court nominees that might finally put this whole same-sex marriage thing to bed.

But please stop taking my money and then trying to make me feel bad for not giving away what's left. I'm a good person. I'm a good citizen and tax-payer.

My name is Sue; and I [might be] a Republican.

No comments:

Post a Comment