Friday, November 18, 2011

Most wonderful time of the year

I really do love this time of year. I love all the holidays, the family and friends, the decorations, the music. I love the food - and I love the presents (the ones I get and the ones I give).

But there is one thing I absolutely hate about the months of November and December: My job.

My job isn't the most glamorous, or wonderful. It has a lot of downs; it's very bureaucratic and often bogged down in procedure. I deal with a lot of people, which means a lot of quirks. But there are also a lot of perks; down-time, flexible schedule, not a lot of stress.

Except for this time of year.

I manage insurance programs for mid-to-large size businesses. The bulk of the work for each program happens prior to the renewal date. The bulk (nearly 50%!) of my business renews on January 1.

That means nearly 50% of the work I do all year is done during the months of November and December.

Talk about stress.

It ramps up now (right before Thanksgiving) and gets progressively worse until Christmas. By then I'm usually too defeated to cry, and have started quietly whispering, "It's coming....January is coming...," to myself.

So, if I seem quiet, or short, or not around as much, or just generally look tired over the next 45 days or so, don't worry.

January is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment