Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Find your passion

The other day, Joel Osteen posted this status on his facebook page:
If you are going to fulfill your destiny, you must do what God hardwired you to do. Make sure you operate in a realm where you are passionate.
I still say the guy smiles way too much, but I have to admit, a lot of what he says really makes a lot of sense.

My job is what one might consider a career. I've been doing it for over ten years and I'm good at what I do. It is an honest, challenging job that offers me a chance for advancement and growth.

Source
While that's all true - in reality, I'm a little burnt out. It's stressful work, that is either feast or famine. One minute, it's so slow in the office, I swear I hear crickets; the next, I can barely get out of my own way. There can be a lot of pressure, and sometimes my coworkers are just plain annoying.

Truth be told, if I could quit, I probably would. But my job is also a paycheck - and paychecks are a good thing to have, especially when you also have a mortgage. There are other perks; like a ton of vacation, pretty flexible schedule, and the (limited) ability to work from home.

But I'm not what you'd call passionate about my job. I show up, do what I have to do, and leave. I'm often on auto-pilot, and though there are challenges, I don't really seek them out. While I'm interested in doing my best, I'm not looking to do more than what's expected.

I do a little work for myself that I enjoy, and the writing that I do is pure enjoyment. I do find passion in those endeavors, but not the opportunity to really jump in with both feet. But Joel Osteen's comment about "operating in a realm where you are passionate" also got me thinking about the volunteer opportunities I've recently found.

Those will give me the chance to jump right in. The organizations I'm working with all need help now. I have my first volunteer assignment this weekend, and am already working on a mini-event fundraiser for another organization. I also know that the program coordinator at Big Brothers, Big Sisters has been calling my references, and I'm still hopeful I'll be matched soon.

It got me wondering - maybe I'll find my passion here. It may sound a little corny, but I'm very excited at the possibility I might finally be on a path to finding a true meaning and purpose in my life.

I think we all need one.

5 comments:

  1. Osteen does smile way too much and he dresses a bit too flashy for my tastes, but I agree with you on his quote. I've heard the sentiment before, but he phrased it pretty perfectly.
    Nice piece o' writing, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come volunteer for the cat shelter! We really need people and you get paid in purrs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have considered that, actually. Of course, I'll want to bring all the kitties home with me...Pudge wouldn't like that. But nothing cheers me up like hearing purrs. :)

      Delete
    2. Not bringing more home is definitely the hard part and I really learned that lesson that hard way. Living with 10 cats is not something I ever want to do again! In a couple weeks I'll be living with 6 and even that is a TON!

      Delete