Monday, October 24, 2011

Movie Monday: Horror movies

The other day, a local radio show was talking about a guy who is 27 years old, and says he can't watch horror movies. One host thought that was ridiculous - that eventually, everyone grows out of that fear.

I beg to differ.

In fact, not only haven't I outgrown it - I actually grew into it.

As a kid, I actually really liked scary movies. The Omen, Salem's Lot, The Shining - loved them. Then, as I got older, I started noticing that when I watched anything scary - I couldn't sleep. It got even worse if I read the book. In high school, I read Pet Semetary by Stephen King, and barely slept an entire summer. 

Creepy. 

So, I stopped watching them. Never saw any of the Halloween or Friday the 13th movies. X liked loved scary movies, so occasionally they'd be on in the house. Honestly - I don't even want to hear them. Recently, I've been muting the TV and looking away every time that trailer for Paranormal Activity is on. A few years back, Chrissy had the Halloween theme as her ring tone, with her phone on at work. I told her if she didn't change it or turn it off, I was going to run her phone over with my car. 

As kids we don't really know about fear. Our parents protect us, the world is nice to us, we have no responsibilities and no worries. No fear. 

So when do we learn to be afraid? And why does it bother some of us more than others? Or maybe, those of us who are afraid, are really just more grown up than the rest? 

Either way, I won't be watching those movies any time soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment